Explore our promoted experiences
- Half-day hiking shore excursion from Puntarenas
- Explore the mangroves, forests, and tidal flats of Carara National Park
- Visit one of Costa Rica's best locations to see wild scarlet macaws
- Observe other species like crocodiles, monkeys, deer, and parrots in their native habitat
- Led by an experienced naturalist guide
- Traditional Costa Rican lunch and port pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
What To Expect
With a dual climate ranging from hot and dry in the winter (November to April) to hot and humid during the rainy season, the park’s mangrove forests and tidal flats offer a welcoming seasonal habitat to an incredible array of wildlife, especially birds. It's one of the best spots in the country to see brilliant scarlet macaws, plus other winged species like parrots, motmots, hummingbirds, and herons. Keep an eye out for members of the crocodile community that often sun along the river banks, as well as mammals that make their home in the forest like agouti, capuchin monkeys, and deer.
Reward your hiking efforts with a typical Costa Rican lunch on the return drive to the Puntarenas port, where your tour concludes with drop-off back at your ship.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Top Private Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 4 full days before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 3 full days before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 3 full days before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms